The name Campo San Barnaba was chosen to pay homage to the years spent in Venice by the architect Gellner, who studied architecture at the IUAV and lived in a palace on the third floor in Campo San Barnaba.
Edoardo Gellner was from Opatija and had a passion for boats. When he was young, he worked to be able to afford a boat, a passion so great that he was selected for the 1936 Berlin Olympics, although he did not go…
Edoardo Gellner, who was studying architecture at the IUAV University, lived in a palazzina in Campo San Barnaba, a magical place in the centre of the Dorsoduro Sestiere.
His bedroom faced the canal and thus, presumably, above the ‘sotto-portego’ and also looked onto the façade of the church of the same name, whose circular rose window may resemble the shape of the stool.
It was only in the late 1950s and early 1960s that these stools saw the light of day, as they were made for the Borca di Cadore colony (Eni’s Residential Village wanted by Enrico Mattei).
The three-legged coffee table, on the other hand, was designed by Michele Merlo – who now runs the Gellner studio – and is inspired by a series of tables that Edoardo Gellner made in the 1950s when he worked with carpenters in Cortina and, in particular, is based on a small table with a removable top (covered in parchment) that he exhibited at the 1951 triennial.
This has a removable top that can be reversed to be completely flat or with a profile for use as a tray.